Friday, March 9, 2012

Shape Theme

The boys have decided that blocks are all the rage recently. Combine that with a fabulous new book find (that post will come later), and you've got yourself a shape theme!


I forgot all about the math shape blocks I have in storage until I started planning this theme. I pulled them out to let the kids play, and it was very interesting to see the results. Some children built up, some designed out, and some relied fully on the tangram templates. These toys have no 'small' pieces, so even the toddlers got in on the fun.


I also pulled out my magnet center, which has come shape file folder games. I was surprised how focused the kids were for this activity.


And nothing celebrates shapes like a building challenge. For dramatic play, we pulled out the shape tent. The boys and I conversed on the type of shape they wanted to construct - they decided square with a triangle on top - and then got to work piecing the balls and rods together.


When it was finished, we draped it with sheets and they promptly pulled in the kitchen center and got to work 'cooking' in their new 'castle restaurant'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...