Friday, March 30, 2012

The Perfect Square


As I mentioned in a previous post, I've discovered a new favorite author - Michael Hall. He's written some really good books using shapes for the story and art. This one, The Perfect Square, inspired an art project.

The book is all about a perfect square that's perfectly happy the way he is. But each day of the week, something happens to him, and he has to adapt and make himself into something new. So on Monday, he's cut and poked full of holes, so he turns into a burbling fountain. On Friday, he's ripped and crumbled, so he turns himself into a majestic mountain, etc.

The kids keep bringing me this book to read, so I thought, why don't we try a perfect square craft?


I got out the scissors and glue, hole punch and construction paper. Then I brought out some old safari themed origami squares. The kids got to rip and shred and cut and poke them full of holes, and make their own perfect square scenes.


I find it's way more interactive when I get involved with making the same crafts they do. It opens up the chance for conversation about the activities, and increases the attention span and willingness to participate of the children, particularly the younger ones. So I re-created some of the scenes from the book.


I also kept the book handy on the table, so the children could flip through the pages for inspiration.


When it was finished, we had a fabulous display for our art wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...